Read in 10 Competition
Registration for the 2021 session has ended, registration will open for the new session in July 2022
Reading competition Details:
The competition has three levels, and participants are free to take part in any of the levels, provided that the levels are assigned as follows:
• Basic level: reading/listening: 12 books on 12 topics within 10 months.
• Intermediate level: reading/listening: 18 books on 24 topics within 10 months.
• Advanced level: reading/listening: 24 books on 24 topics within 10 months.
Participants must borrow at least 5 books from the Abdul Hameed Shoman Public Library, the books can be printed, audio or electronic, in English or Arabic.
Participants can track their progress online through the reading competition page on the Foundation's website.
One book cannot be considered for more than one topic, even if the book covers more than one topic. Settling on a book’s topic is the responsibility of the participant.
The librarian can support with book selections.
Winners can participate in future reading competitions.
Participants are required to select books that cover all the following areas:
• A book that is older than you when it was first published.
• A book that discusses books.
• A book that tells a true-life story (autobiography or biography books are accepted).
• A book that you think goes against your personal beliefs.
• A historical book.
• A book that made a difference in the world.
• A book by an unknown author.
• A book by a writer you don't like.
• A book that is considered a classic.
• A non-literary book.
• An audio book.
• An e-book.
Intermediate and advanced level participants are required to choose a topic from the following additional list, provided the participant covered all the previous mentioned topics:
• A book on letter literature.
• A book you desired for its cover.
• A collection of stories.
• A poetry book.
• Two books on the same topic by different authors.
• A book on the environment.
• A book on innovation.
• A play.
• A book by a Jordanian author.
• A translated book.
• A book of the librarian's choice.
• "Luck" book: the participant decides on a topic, and the librarian picks random books from the system.
• Several books on the same topics can be included, provided a minimum of 6 topics are selected for the intermediate and advanced levels.
• Participants can register electronically through the following link readingin10.shoman.org and can choose their initial category (basic, intermediate, or advanced). During the competition participants can move from basic to intermediate and advanced but not vice versa, from a higher level to a lower level.
The process for winning the competition
• Participants must finish the number of books specified at the level they have chosen (Basic -12 books, Intermediate - 18 books, and advanced - 24 books), and according to the terms and topics. Any violation or shortcoming will lead to elimination from the competition.
Participants must write reviews for all the selected books and publish them on social media under a specified hashtag. Writing a review is considered mandatory for all the levels and books on the platform.
Prizes are as follows
• First place: a 125JD tablet, a 75JD book voucher, and an honorary membership at Shoman library.
• Second place: a 75JD book voucher, and an honorary membership at Shoman library.
• Third place: a 50JD book voucher, and an honorary membership at Shoman library.
• First place: a 200JD tablet, a 100JD book voucher, and an honorary membership at Shoman library.
• Second place: a 100JD book voucher, and an honorary membership at Shoman library.
• Third place: a 75JD book voucher, and an honorary membership at Shoman library.
• First place: a 300JD tablet, a 150JD book voucher, and an honorary membership at Shoman library.
• Second place: a 150JD book voucher and an honorary membership at Shoman library.
• Third place: a 125JD book voucher and an honorary membership at Shoman library.